Congratulations to the 2022 NAHN Scholarship Recipients!
The National Association of Hispanic Nurses was pleased to announce the distribution of scholarships to NAHN members at the Gala of the NAHN 47th Annual Conference in Miami, Florida. The scholarship program was very competitive, and NAHN thanks the generous funders who are actively helping raise the level of professionalism of Latino nurses.
The National Association of Hispanic Nurses is honored to receive scholarship money and related services from the United Health Foundation Diverse Scholars Initiative’s Latino Health Scholars Program. Additionally, NAHN is grateful to the opportunities provided to students by the Abbott Scholarship Fund, Suncrest Cares Foundation, NurseThink.com, the Aguilar-Cuellar-Toben (ACT) Research Grant, Past President Hector Gonzalez, UsAgainstAlzheimer's, the American Holistic Nurses Credentialing Corporation and the American Holistic Nurses Association.
- Ely Nicole Urbina
- Eduardo Tanori, RN, BSN
- Dominique Yepez
- Janelle A. Eradiri
- Eliana Alonzo, BSN, RN, CCRN
- Brenda Olmos, MSN, APRN, FNP-C
- Erika Narden Zúñiga Sandoval
- Erika Y Ventura Castellon, BSN, RN
AHNCC and AHNA Holistic Nursing Certification Fellows:
- Carolyn Cros, RN
- Tanya M Trujillo, RN, BSN
Hector Gonzalez Past Presidents Scholarship Recipient:
- Mario Peregrino
NurseThink.com Scholarship Awardees:
- Lucia Judith Alfano, RN, MA, EdD (c)
- Gloria Alexandra Gallardo
Suncrest Cares Foundation-NAHN Scholarship Program Recipients:
- Sandra Calderon, MS, RN, FNP-C
- Omar Aguilar
The United Health Foundation Returning Scholars:
- Ashley Dorval
- Yesenia Nunez
- Edward A. Ornelas
- Hannah Querida Estrada
- Cesar Rivera
- Nicole Sanchez
- Mernelis Valazquez
- Catherine Vila
UsAgainstAlzheimer's Brain Health Equity Nurse Fellows:
- Mia Alcala, DNP, RN, CNS, CEN
- Susana Gonzalez, MHA, MSN, RN, CNML
- Luz Santana, MSN, RN, CMCN, ACRN, CGMT-BC, CDMS, CCM
- Maria Perez, PhD, RNC-OB, LHRM, CHEP, HC
- Dyanne Rodriguez, DNP, RN, MPH
- Mario Peregrino
Information Regarding 2022 NAHN Scholarships
2022 NAHN Scholarship applications are now closed. Applications for NAHN Scholarships in 2023 will open in spring.
NAHN Scholarships are awarded annually to active NAHN members enrolled in accredited LVN/LPN, associate, diploma, baccalaureate, and graduate nursing programs for the next academic year (2022-2023). Scholarship recipients are a select group of nursing students who demonstrate promise of professional contributions to the nursing profession and who have the potential to act as role models for other aspiring nursing students.
The number of scholarships offered each year is dependent upon the amount of money in the scholarship fund. Members are encouraged to donate to support future scholarships. The selection of recipients is based on many factors including need, current academic standing, course of study, supporting documentation, and other factors. Grant opportunities and eligibility requirements are described below.
All applicants must be:
- NAHN members in good standing before the application deadline. To become a NAHN member, visit our membership page and click the Join Now button.
- Attending/enrolled in an accredited full-time nursing program.
Application, Notification & Announcement
The 2022 scholarship application period will begin May 1 and end May 31, 2022. The applications will be posted on May 1, and it is strongly recommended that applicants not to wait until the last day to submit your application. Successful scholarship applicants will be notified by email and recipients will be honored in person at the NAHN Annual Conference.
- The scholarship application period begins May 1, 2022
- The scholarship application period ends May 31, 2022
- Scholarship recipients will be notified in mid-June
To help prepare for your application, NAHN recommends that you begin gathering the following materials, which will be required to by all applicants in order to be considered:
- 2 letters of recommendation uploaded to your online application. Letters must include your name and list the scholarships for which you are applying.
- Transcripts showing your current enrollment in a nursing program. Applicant may upload a digital PDF copy of official transcripts or have official transcripts mailed to NAHN by the application deadline. If you are in the first semester of a nursing program or are beginning this fall and do not yet have transcripts, you can upload transcripts from your past school or program. If digital copies of transcripts are included with the application, selected scholarship recipients will be asked to send official transcripts to NAHN from their university.
- Resume or CV
- Nursing program acceptance letter
- Personal essay (up to 500 words)
- Optional letter from your Chapter President
Abbott Scholarship Fund
Improving representation from diverse populations in clinical trials is paramount to reducing health disparities and better understanding the impact of the next generation of health care therapies across all populations. Yet historically, barriers to access for minority patients, alongside a shortage of minority investigators and clinical research personnel have limited some trials from truly representing the people who will ultimately benefit from a medication, product or therapy.
To address these issues, Abbott is offering scholarships for future trial leaders to support the training and education for the future leaders of clinical trials. In addition to building training, education and research infrastructure needed to support diversity enrollment in clinical trials, the new initiative also aims to overcome traditional barriers to expanding diversity in trials and ultimately improve health outcomes in more minority communities.
Abbott's scholarship program is designed to:
- Support the next generation of minority physicians who will go on to lead clinical trials
- Support minority nursing students who will go on to support the trials and process or function as clinical research coordinators
- Expose more minority medical and nursing students to the research process
- Help develop the next generation or caregivers who can break down barriers to clinical trials in their communities.
The Abbott Scholarship Fund will provide awards of $10,000 each to 8 total qualified applicants in 2022. Of the 8 awards, 4 of the scholarships will be awarded to nursing students; 1 scholarship will be awarded to a nurse practitioner path student; and 3 scholarships will be awarded to PhD path students.
Suncrest Cares Foundation-NAHN Scholarship Program
Suncrest Hospice has a mission and strong conviction to support, uplift, and advance the care of patients and their families, which begins with better education for healthcare workers. Many of Suncrest’s hospice, home health, and palliative office locations serve Hispanic communities. Working together through a scholarship program, NAHN and Suncrest Cares Foundation can give opportunities to nursing students to benefit the communities both serve.
The Suncrest Cares Foundation-NAHN Scholarship Program will provide scholarships to students pursuing nursing or nursing-related degrees at the undergraduate or graduate level, who exemplify a dedication to service within their community, and a desire to expand that service by way of a career in nursing. A total of $10,000 in scholarships will be awarded. The number of recipients and individual scholarship amounts will be determined during the selection process.
NurseThink.com provides NAHN applicants with two $1,000 scholarships: one is targeted toward graduate-level nursing students who are specializing in nursing education and who plan on teaching upon graduation; the second scholarship is allocated for those who are LPN or a pre-licensure RN.
Aguilar-Cuellar-Toben (ACT) Research Grant
The ACT Research Grant provides one $1,000 award to a Latino Ph.D. student who is a member of NAHN and who is conducting either quantitative or qualitative research to improve health care outcomes of the Latino population. Allocation of the funds will be based on the quality of the proposed research, the future promise of the applicant as a Latino researcher, approval of the dissertation chair, IRB approval, and the research budget. This grant was developed in honor of “Nena” and “Tia Pat” - mother and sister of Norma Cuellar’s (President of NAHN from 2018-2020).
NOTE: This opportunity requires a separate application, which can be submitted HERE.
Hector Gonzalez Past Presidents Scholarship
NAHN Past President and founding member Hector Hugo Gonzalez has funded a scholarship for Hispanic male nursing students. This $4,000 scholarship is awarded to one male Hispanic nursing student(s) enrolled in a two-year associate degree nursing program.
AHNCC and AHNA Holistic Nursing Certification Fellowship
The American Holistic Nurses Credentialing Corporation (AHNCC) and the American Holistic Nurses Association are offering one Fellowship in 2022 to an active NAHN member who meet the AHNCC criteria for Holistic Nursing Certification (click here for details or review the Holistic Nursing FAQs). The Fellowship packet is valued at over $1400 and includes: mentorship from an AHNCC certificant for the duration of the application and testing period; application fee for certification; practice test fees; examination registration cost; re-sitting fee if needed; free AHNA Foundations of Holistic Nursing (FOHN) Self-Study Course; ANA/AHNA Holistic Nursing Scope and Standards 3rd Edition Book; and a $100 gift certificate for the AHNA Shop (Continuing Education or SWAG purchases).
Congratulations to NAHN Scholarship Recipients Through the Years
- 2021 NAHN Scholarships
- 2020 NAHN Scholarships
- 2019 NAHN Scholarships
- 2018 NAHN Scholarships
- 2017 NAHN Scholarships
- 2016 NAHN Scholarships
- 2015 NAHN Scholarships
- 2014 NAHN Scholarships
- 2013 NAHN Scholarships
- 2012 NAHN Scholarships
- 2011 NAHN Scholarships
- 2010 NAHN Scholarships