The call for NAHN Committee volunteers is now open! You can apply to join a 2023-2024 committee by May 29.
Awards & Scholarship CommitteeThe purpose of the Awards & Scholarship Committee is to review award nominees that are nominated by and from the membership and to select scholarship recipients. Findings are presented to the NAHN Board of Directors. The committee also presents nominees to the NAHN Board of Directors for the following award categories:
- The Dr. Ildaura Murillo-Rohde Award for Academic Excellence
- The Henrietta Villaescusa Award for Community Service
- The Dr. Janie Menchaca Wilson Award for Outstanding Leadership
- The Sara Gomez Erlach Humanitarian Award
- The Latino Legacy Award
- Hispanic Nurse of the Year
Bylaws CommitteeThe Bylaws Committee facilitates any additions and/or revisions to the Bylaws which may be deemed necessary by the committee and/or members of the organization. The committee is responsible for preparing and revising the Bylaws which provide the NAHN members with a detailed guideline for the responsibilities of the Board of Directors and members, proper protocol, and the suggested standard operating procedures of the organization.
Communications CommitteeThe Communications Committee seeks to cultivate engagement of members, organizations, and sponsorships by creating and sustaining strategies to inspire membership communication, innovation, and social media visibility aimed to promote the mission and values of NAHN.
The Communications Committee actively:
- Empowers members to become strong advocates for NAHN and the nursing profession.
- Incorporates the use of different technological platforms to improve member engagement, organizational visibility, and the operational effectiveness of NAHN.
- Suggests updates to the NAHN website to support greater member engagement and interaction.
- Provides guidelines to facilitate local and national communication strategies in order to optimize member engagement through the use of the NAHN website, blogs, discussion forums, social media, and publications.
- Creates social media policy that outlines the expectations and provides guidance on how to accurately represent NAHN online and through social media.
- Implements targeted social media campaigns to increase the visibility of NAHN
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion CommitteeThe primary purpose of the NAHN Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee is to foster an inclusive and equitable environment in the nursing profession and the communities served, where all members have the opportunity to achieve personal growth while contributing to the overall success of the mission of NAHN.
The DEI Committee scope is to:
- Embrace the power of the NAHN membership to actively foster an inclusive and equitable environment that makes full use of the contributions of the members.
- Provide leadership, advice, and influence NAHN leaders to promote and increase Diversity, Equity & Inclusion in the membership body.
- Provide a venue for the organization and local chapters to offer input and feedback on Diversity, Equity & Inclusion initiatives.
- Review policies, practices, and procedures to ensure that NAHN meets the Diversity, Equity & Inclusion initiatives.
Education CommitteeThe Education Committee ensures the NAHN Annual Conference, seminars and other educational events support the NAHN mission. The committee is responsive to the continuing educational needs of the membership and the nursing profession at large.
The NAHN Education Committee is responsible to:
- Solicit input from NAHN members regarding the educational needs of the membership.
- Recommend new educational offerings for the annual conference, seminars, and other educational events including webinars.
- Oversee the abstract submission and review process for the annual conference.
- Provide guidance on speaker recommendations and topics presented, and scheduling of all educational events.
- Oversee budget for the annual conference, Latino Leadership Institute, and all other educational events.
- Provide the Board of Directors with recommendations and direction that demonstrate educational offerings and venues are congruent with strategic plan initiatives.
- Provide opportunities for NAHN members to be actively involved in the review and development of educational materials and programs that enhance the practice of nursing.
Evidenced-based Practice and Research Governance CommitteeThe Evidenced-based Practice (EBP) and Research Governance Committee provides oversight and recommendations to the NAHN Board of Directors on matters pertaining to the approval of EBP and Research activities that advance nursing science to improve health outcomes for underserved communities.
The committee integrates NAHN's purpose with managing internal and external grant-related activities; determines grant recommendations and oversight to and for the Board of Directors and the members; seeks collaboration with the private, public, and governmental entities in matters of public health as they relate to Hispanics; if necessary, serves as NAHN representatives on boards, commission, and task forces.
Finance CommitteeThe role of the Finance & Audit Committee is primarily to provide financial oversight for the organization, including financial planning, financial reporting, and the creation and monitoring of the internal controls.
Membership CommitteeThe Membership Committee provides input and feedback to the NAHN staff and to the board on issues concerning individual membership, chapters, and the Hispanic nursing community. It serves as a sounding board to the NAHN staff on issues related to members’ benefits and programs. It communicates NAHN’s Mission, Values, Purpose, and benefits for members via recruitment and retention within the Hispanic community and interested stakeholders.
The Membership Committee actively:
- Identifies and facilitates the exchange of ideas, networking, and communication among members to continue to add value to their membership.
- Ensures members (and non-members) in the health care industry and beyond are aware of the resources, services, and membership benefits of NAHN.
- Evaluate membership categories/criteria and the dues structure, as necessary.
- Provides guidance on the development of surveys and other support instruments to evaluate members’ needs, interests, and opinions.
Policy & Advocacy CommitteeThe Policy Committee integrates NAHN's purpose with related public policy issues and addresses the challenges; develops position papers for discussion and action by the Board of Directors and the membership; seeks collaboration with the private, public, and governmental entities in matters of public health as they relate to Hispanics; if necessary, serve as NAHN representatives on boards, commission, and task forces.
The Policy & Advocacy Committee is to:
- Develop public health policy position papers for discussion and action by the Board of Directors.
- Collaborate with private, public, and governmental entities in matters of public health as they relate to Hispanic communities.
- Evaluate requested letters of support for proposed legislation, including public health policies that impact the health of Hispanic communities.
- Serve as NAHN representatives on boards, commissions, and task forces as appropriate.
- Develop endorsement policies and guidelines for externally-funded sources.