The National Association of Hispanic Nurses is pleased to announce the distribution of scholarships to NAHN members this year at the Annual Gala during its 42nd Annual NAHN Annual Conference in Phoenix. As usual, the scholarship program is very competitive, and we thank the generous funders who are actively helping raise the level of professionalism of Latino nurses.
The National Association of Hispanic Nurses is honored to receive scholarship money and related services from the United Health Foundation Diverse Scholars Initiative’s Latino Health Scholars Program.
The newly awarded United Health Foundation scholarship recipients are:
Caroline Ortiz, MPH, MSN, RN, NC (New York Chapter)
Suzanne Carvajal-Pinos, RN (Broward County Chapter)
United Health Foundation 2016-2017 Scholars are:
Brenda Cruz (San Diego Chapter)
Leah Ruiz (Phoenix Chapter)
Grace Ramirez (San Diego Chapter)
Santiago Mercado, BSN, RN, CCRN (Dallas Chapter)
United Health Foundation Returning scholars are:
Girah Caraballo, RN (NAHN National)
Cynthia Colmenares (Garden State Chapter)
Gerardo Flores, MSN, RN (Los Angeles Chapter)
Horacio Lemus, RN (San Diego Chapter)
Koral Liriano (NAHN National)
Adrial Lobelo, RN, NNP (New York Chapter)
Laura Penalo, MS, RN, CNL (New York Chapter)
Arianna Vargas (San Diego Chapter)
Maria Vera-Irizarry, RN, MS (Long Island Chapter)
The Nurse Tim program awarded a scholarship to:
Javier Moreno, MA (Orange County Chapter)
The Hector Hugo Gonzalez, PhD, VR-RN Scholarship went to Victoria Monterrubio (Illinois Chapter)
Children’s Mercy Scholarship went to Brenda Pacheco
Previous NAHN Scholarship Recipients
About the NAHN Scholarship Program
Scholarship awards are presented to NAHN members enrolled in accredited LVN/LPN, associate, diploma, baccalaureate, and graduate nursing programs.
Selection of recipients is based on need, current academic standing, and other criteria.
Scholarship recipients are a select group of Hispanic nursing students who demonstrate promise of professional contributions to the nursing profession and who have the potential to act as role models for other aspiring nursing students.
The number of scholarships offered each year is dependent upon the amount of money in the scholarship fund.
Scholarships are presented each year at NAHN’s Annual Conference.
About the NAHN Awards
The National Association of Hispanic Nurses (NAHN) established a series of awards to honor and provide special recognition to Hispanic nurses.
These special awards honor NAHN members for their demonstrated excellence in nursing education, community service and for their spirit and dedication in serving the Hispanic community. Special awards are an opportunity for NAHN members to be recognized and celebrated for their extraordinary achievements within the nursing discipline.
Use this portal for nominations for all awards Click Here
- The Dr. Ildaura Murillo-Rohde Award for Academic Excellence
- The Henrietta Villaescusa Award for Community Service
- The Dr. Janie Menchaca Wilson Award for Outstanding Leadership
- The Sara Gomez Erlach Humanitarian Award
- NAHN Nurse of the Year
- Latino Legacy Award
Please note the following requirements for ALL NAHN Special Awards:
- You may submit multiple nominations using the web portal or mail submission.
- Submitted nomination information becomes the property of the National Association of Hispanic Nurses (NAHN).
- Hispanic Nurses nominated for a Special Award must be a member of NAHN for at least three (3) consecutive years.
- Nominations may be self-nominated or made by colleagues, clients, administrators, or co-workers
- Letters of reference must be 300 words or less and illustrate the nominee’s qualifications and accomplishments. You may use question 5 below to submit your letter of reference or e-mail a scan or photograph of your letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Nominee is to submit a current resume or curriculum vitae.
- Qualified nominees may be the recipient of a particular Award only once. Any individual who has received previous recognition by NAHN for that Award is not eligible for the same award but may be nominated for other NAHN awards.
- If responding by mail, mail to: NAHN Awards; 1500 Sunday Drive Suite 102; Raleigh NC 27607
Any additional letters of recommendation can be sent by e-mail to email@example.com or by mail at the address above.
2017 NAHN AWARDS:
Nurse of the Year: Lucia Alfano, RN, MA
Janie Menchaca Wilson Leadership Award: Ruth Amador, MSN, RN
lldaura Murillo-Rohde Award for Education Excellence: Ana Sanchez-Birkhead, PhD, WHNP-BC, APRN
Henrietta Villaescusa Community Service Award: Saul Castillo-Ibarra, RN
Sarah Gomez Erlach Humanitarian Award: Armando Riera, MSN, ARNP-BC
Legacy Award: Eloisa Tamez, PhD, RN, FAAN
40 Under 40 Awards:
Adrianna Nava, MSN, RN
Lucia Alfano, RN, MA
Gloria Barrera, MSN, RN, PEL-CSN
Elizabeth Florez, PhD, RN
Jeffrey Dominguez, BSN, RN, CCRN
Lissette Altreche, RN
Stephanie Mendoza, RN
Adrian Espinosa, MPH, RN, MSN, FNP
Jesse Navarro, BSN, RN, PHN
Paulette Rangel, BSN, RN
First Place - Rose Lopez, BSN, RN
Second Place - Ruth Amador, RN, MSN
Third Place - Glorimar Castro, BSN, RN
Viajero Award: The Connecticut Chapter